CSV files also known as Comma Separated Values files are used to store data by separating data entries using commas. Usually, many users use these files to export data from one platform and import it into some other platform. Therefore, in this article, we will discuss multiple ways using which you can import contacts from CSV to iCloud account.
As discussed earlier, many platforms support CSV files, so if you export contacts from a certain platform, there is a high chance that you will get those contacts in a CSV file. The structure of a CSV file is quite simple and the contact details will be stored in the following way:
Name, Phone Number, Email, Address
User 1, 112-233-4455, email@example.com, Street 1
User 2, 111-222-3333, firstname.lastname@example.org, Street 2
Now to import CSV files into iCloud contacts, you first need to understand that not all platforms support CSV files. Thus, if you have your contacts stored in a CSV file and want to import them into iCloud, then you first need to convert them into iCloud support vCard format.
The following section of the article first discusses two ways to perform the conversion process.
Step-1: Import CSV Contacts to iCloud via vCard File
Method-1: Using a Professional Utility
The first step of this entire process is to convert the CSV file into iCloud compatible file format. So, in this case, the most efficient and secure way to perform the process is using the third-party solution. You can use this CSV to iCloud Contacts Converter and make the conversion job simple.
This utility comes with multiple features like giving the option to map CSV columns to vCard columns, include or exclude certain columns while mapping, automatically map CSV fields with a single click, and many more.
Moreover, you also get the option to choose a vCard version (2.1, 3.0, and 4.0) depending on the platform you choose to import your contacts. As here you are importing CSV contacts into iCloud account, you should choose the 4.0 vCard version as your destination format.
You can try this application for free on Windows or Mac OS and get the import job done in a few clicks.
Method-2: Using Windows Contacts Option
You can also use the Windows Contacts option to convert CSV files into iCloud compatible file format. For this, you need to perform the following steps:
- Press Windows + R button to open Run window. Type contacts in the field and press Enter.
- This will open the Contacts window. Click on the Import button and select the CSV (Comma Separated Values) option. Then click on the Import button.
- Now click on the Browse button and locate the CSV file containing contacts. After choosing the file, click on the Next button.
- You can also apply custom mapping to the contact fields as needed. Click on the Finish button to complete the import process.
- Once the file is imported into Contacts, you can now use the Export option to get your contacts in vCard format.
- Click on the Export button, choose vCards (folder of .vcf files), and hit the Export button.
- Select the file path where you want to save those contacts.
- Finally, all your contacts will be exported successfully.
Method-3: Move CSV to iCloud Using Gmail Contacts
If you feel that Method 2 is difficult to perform or it contains multiple steps, then you can also use Gmail contacts to perform the conversion process.
If you feel that Method 2 to convert CSV contacts into iCloud platform is difficult and lengthy to perform, then you can use Gmail contacts as well. Here, you first have to import the contacts into Gmail and then export them as vCard files. The steps for the same as explained below:
- Login to your Gmail account, click on the 9-dot button and select the Contacts icon.
- Click on the Import button to import CSV contacts in Gmail.
- You will now get the Import Contacts wizard where you need to import the CSV file containing contacts. Click on the Select File button, browse and locate the file and then click on the Import button.
- The next step of importing CSV contacts to iCloud includes the export process. Here, click on the Export button from the left pane and it will open an Export contacts window.
- You can either export selected contacts or all contacts as per your need. Choose vCard as the resultant file format.
- This process will save your CSV file contacts in iCloud compatible file format.
Step-2: Import CSV File to iCloud Contacts
Now that you have iCloud supported contacts file, follow the below-discussed steps to complete the process:
- Log in to your iCloud account and then click on the Contacts icon.
- Once the Contacts window opens, click on the Settings icon and choose the Import vCard option.
- Browse the location where you saved the vCard file and open it.
- Finally, the process to import CSV contacts into iCloud is finished successfully.
As discussed in the above section, this blog discusses a complete step-by-step procedure to import CSV files to iCloud contacts. The point that you need to remember is that you cannot directly import CSV files, and first need to convert them into a compatible file format. Thus, 3 different ways to perform conversion are discussed. You can follow this comprehensive guide and import all contacts without any hassle.